Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) allows F-1 students to apply to work in the United States for twelve months after they graduate. Any employment during this time must be related to the student's major.
What do I need to apply for OPT?
- Completed I-765
- Original passport & 1 copy
- Original visa & 1 copy
- All Original I-20s & 1 copy of the first page of each I-20.
- Original I-94* & 1 copy.
- Make check payable to US Department of Homeland Security.
- Fee: $410.
- 2 photographs, passport style (Walgreens)(2in x 2in).
- Proof of graduation application.
- The signed disclaimer statement, as attached.
When can I apply for OPT?
Students can apply 120 days before their last day of classes or up to 60 days after their last day of classes. It can take up to 90 days for immigration to process an application so you will want to apply 90 days before desired start date.
How do I make an appointment?
Where can I find my I-94?
You can access your I-94 at here.
Where can I find my proof of graduation?
You can bring your receipt from when you applied to graduate.
For assistance with your resume, cover letter and use of Career Serivces employment search engines, you can click here to go to their website.