Arrival and orientation
All new ESL students must return the arrival information sheet provided in your acceptance packet with your I-20. We cannot meet you at the airport if we do not know when you are arriving. Please send your arrival information to email@example.com through email when you have your travel schedule. Please read carefully the information below so that you can get better prepared for your transition to your life and study with us at Murray State University.
ESL students should arrive during the airport shuttle dates below:
Summer Term 2019
- Shuttle: June 7 through June 9, 2019
- Placement Testing: June 10, 2019
- Orientation: June 11, 2019
- Registration: June 12, 2019
- Classes Begin: June 13, 2019
Fall One Term 2019
- Shuttle: August 16 through August 18, 2019
- Placement Testing: August 20, 2019
- Orientation: August 21, 2019
- Registration: August 22, 2019
- Classes Begin: August 23, 2019
Fall Two Term 2019
- Shuttle: October 18 through October 20, 2019
- Placement Testing: October 22, 2019
- Orientation: October 23, 2019
- Registration: October 24, 2019
- Classes Begin: October 25, 2019
Spring One Term 2020
- Shuttle: January 10 through January 12, 2020
- Placement Testing: January 13, 2020
- Orientation: January 14, 2020
- Registration: January 15, 2020
- Classes Begin: January 16, 2020
Spring Two Term 2020
- Shuttle: March 20 through March 22, 2020
- Placement Testing: March 23, 2020
- Orientation: March 24, 2020
- Registration: March 25, 2020
- Classes Begin: March 26, 2020
Summer Term 2020
- Shuttle: June 5 through June 7, 2020
- Placement Testing: June 8, 2020
- Orientation: June 9, 2020
- Registration: June 10, 2020
- Classes Begin: June 11, 2020
Fall One Term 2020
- Shuttle: August 15 through August 17, 2020
- Placement Testing: August 18, 2020
- Orientation: August 19, 2020
- Registration: August 20, 2020
- Classes Begin: August 21, 2020
Fall Two Term 2020
- Shuttle: October 16 through October 18, 2020
- Placement Testing: October 20, 2020
- Orientation: October 21, 2020
- Registration: October 22, 2020
- Classes Begin: October 23, 2020
Spring One Term 2021
- Shuttle: January 8 through January 10, 2021
- Placement Testing: January 11, 2021
- Orientation: January 12, 2021
- Registration: January 13, 2021
- Classes Begin: January 14, 2021
Spring Two Term 2021
- Shuttle: March 19 through March 21, 2021
- Placement Testing: March 22, 2021
- Orientation: March 23, 2021
- Registration: March 24, 2021
- Classes Begin: March 25, 2021
Summer Term 2021
- Shuttle: June 4 through June 6, 2021
- Placement Testing: June 7, 2021
- Orientation: June 8, 2021
- Registration: June 9, 2021
- Classes Begin: June 10, 2021
New international students, including ESL Program students, should plan to arrive at the Nashville, Tennessee international airport within the shuttle service days.
The Nashville airport is the largest airport near Murray, Kentucky, but because it is a two-hour drive to Murray, the ESL Program provides shuttle service from the airport to Murray State University. There is a $75 charge for airport pick-up which will be billed along with your tuition and fees. (The airport pick-up charge is non-refundable unless you cancel at least four hours prior to your original arrival time.)
If a student needs airport pick-up on any date other than the shuttle dates (see above), the charge is $125.
Please see the Expected Costs for more information.
Information on this shuttle and a request that you let the ESL program know of your exact arrival will come with your I-20. Your I-20 packet will contain all your arrival information in it, and you should let the ESL Program know as soon as possible when you will arrive. Either a student worker or a staff member in the program will greet you at the airport.
Shuttle Passengers (August & January Shuttles Only)
Please note that the shuttle will be picking up many students whose flight times will vary. For this reason, the shuttle departs from Nashville for Murray at 5:00 pm each day during the shuttle days in August, October, March and June. In January, however, the shuttle departs from Nashville for Murray at 4:00 pm. If your flight arrives in Nashville after the shuttle departure time from Nashville, you will need to stay in Nashville overnight and be picked up on the following day.
All ESL Students
All students must provide their arrival information to the ESL Office. Please return the arrival sheet in your application packet by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org and it may also be faxed to 270-809-2715.
New Student Orientation
Orientation for ESL students takes place before and during your term here. Orientation begins as soon as you are picked up at the airport. ESL student advisors and their helpers will help you with your housing, banking, and shopping and introduce you to other students. The ESL staff and the teachers will help new students register for class and with all those activities that can be so confusing at the beginning of a new experience.
The first day of each term is set aside for placement testing, which consists of these parts: a writing sample, a short oral interview, and an institutional TOEFL. They are designed to insure that you are placed in the appropriate courses in each skill level. Information on ESL Program curriculum and special programs can be found here.
Each new student is enrolled in an orientation class during the term. This class will help you become acquainted with life in the United States and specifically in Murray, KY.
Students are visited by various university and community members in this class in order to help them adapt to college life. This class offers a broad range of subjects and the speakers may include doctors, bankers, dentists, law enforcement personnel, university personnel or faculty, immigration specialists, and culture shock specialists. At the same time, students will have a tour around campus.