Brand Tool Kit
Our Brand Promise
The true value of higher education is found at Murray State University. This is where students receive endless opportunities to pursue their dreams - and where faculty and staff go above and beyond to make sure those opportunities are afforded. These stories happen every day through a high-quality education that provides experiential learning, academic and personal growth and the ability for students to secure a lifetime of success.
Why New Branding?
We conducted and reviewed significant market research — including institutional data, a competitive analysis, email surveys and focus groups — which provided insight into where we stand in the college/university marketplace and in the hearts and minds of alumni, students, parents, community members, faculty and staff.
The Key Takeaway
A common theme was “small atmosphere, big offerings.” Students and parents love that the University is small enough to boast a friendly, safe campus community but big enough to provide outstanding facilities. Because of these qualities, Murray State is a unique environment in which students are afforded more opportunities.
The University Voice
To convey the opportunity-centric message, the tone of voice for all University content should feel confident, aspirational, encouraging, friendly and supportive.
Any marketing materials representing the University, from brochures to web pages to press releases, should follow Associated Press style for grammar. We encourage you to save the following style guide and/or hang it up at your desk for easy reference. Not only will it make great office décor, it will also help ensure consistent grammar usage across the University.
For more tips on AP style, Purdue OWL and Grammar Girl are great resources. If you have further questions, please contact Parker Franklin in the office of branding, marketing and communication at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important note: Please use the official names of University colleges, buildings and scholarships, and check your spelling. Examples include the Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business, Susan E. Bauernfeind Wellness Center and Jesse D. Jones College of Science, Engineering and Technology.
The Symbol of the University
The new Murray State University logo presents a modern take on the traditional shield. The updated version reflects our rich history while focusing on providing an Opportunity Afforded for everyone.
To ensure consistent University branding across all colleges and departments, please join us in bidding the old logos adieu. Moving forward, use only the new logo variations and follow these guidelines:
Download all logos. Download includes JPG files for print usage and transparent PNG files for digital/web usage.
These are the tried-and-true blue and gold colors we all know and love:
CMYK: 100, 90, 0, 70
RGB: 0, 33, 68
- PMS 289
CMYK: 0, 24, 94, 0
RGB: 236, 172, 0
- PMS 123
These are new secondary colors that should be used very sparingly:
- Light Blue
CMYK: 83, 11, 2, 0
RGB: 0, 164, 227 (web)
- PMS 2995
CMYK: 0, 87, 80, 0
RGB: 255, 69, 0
- Pantone Warm Red
The University’s Typeface
If you have questions about using these fonts on University computers, contact the Service Desk at 270-809-2346 or email@example.com.
The University’s Image
Photography plays a huge role in bringing a branding message to life. Our photos help tell the Opportunity Afforded story by focusing on real campus experiences. Using a contemporary style, we’re capturing candid moments and the academic opportunities our students are being afforded.
For copyright information or to schedule a photographer, please contact the office of branding, marketing and communication at firstname.lastname@example.org
Social media graphics
Your social media accounts should always represent the current brand. Feel free to download and use any of the following graphics on your area's official Facebook page.
OVC Downloadable Facebook Cover Photos
Format Excel files
To create a Murray State theme using the official colors:
- Open a new Excel document.
- Go to the Page Layout tab. Next to Themes, click Colors, then select Create New Theme Colors at the bottom of the list.
- For each of the desired fields, click the dropdown and then click More Colors.
- Select the Custom tab, then enter the RGB values for the Murray State colors.
For Light Blue (007eb2)
R = 0
G = 126
B = 178
For Navy (002144)
R = 0
G = 33
B = 68
For Gold (ecac00)
R = 236
G = 172
B = 0
Once you've entered a color once, it will appear in the Recent Colors box if you decide to repeat it.
- Once all of the theme colors are selected, click Save.
- Click Themes, then select Save Current Theme. Name the theme (I used MurrayStateTheme) and save it.
- Open the document to which you wish to apply the theme. Go to Page Layout and select the theme from the list. This should update any document, or set up any new document with the correct colors. You can also add specific fonts and effects to the theme if you don't like the standard ones and they'll transition in the same way.
Create presentations and press releases that represent the University brand by starting with these pre-designed templates.
Find examples and pricing for business cards, letterhead, invitations and more under Print Pricing.
The office of Branding, Marketing and Communication encourages you to tell us about upcoming events, news and accomplishments. Email information (with photos, if possible) to email@example.com.
Ensure your emails match the new Murray State branding by updating your signature to look like this:
- Download the Murray State logo.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your RacerMail inbox.
- Choose the “Settings” link.
- In the “Signature” section, click the “Insert Image” icon to upload the new Murray State logo.
- Reference the design above to update your information as needed.
- To link the apply today text, click the link icon and add a link to https://www.murraystate.edu/apply.
If the text is linked properly, it will automatically turn blue.
- Make sure the signature box is selected and “no signature” is deselected.
- Scroll to the bottom and click “Save Changes” before navigating back to your inbox.
Please note, departmental email accounts may not upload images.
To maintain brand consistency, all videos representing Murray State should end with the same video animation. We've provided options for each school/college as well as a generic version. Please choose the animation that best fits your video's message.
BMC hosts power sessions to provide the campus community with additional resources
and information about design, writing and branding. Download resources from 2018 past sessions.