Service Learning Mentor of the Year
The Service Learning Mentor of the Year Award is given annually to a faculty member who actively embraces Service Learning, an experiential learning pedagogy that encourages students to utilize the skills and knowledge of their discipline to meet a need in the community. A significant criterion should be one of impact and innovation. There should be substantial evidence that a nominee’s service learning activities have had a significant positive effect on students’ education and our community. There should also be substantial evidence that the nominee’s professional life has been characterized by a commitment to service learning activities as opposed to a one-time involvement in such activity.
The award will include a one-time $1,000 stipend, a certificate, and recognition at the annual Faculty Awards Banquet.
- Full-time or part-time permanent faculty appointment as a lecturer, tenured, or tenure-track employee of Murray State University. Full-time staff who teach courses are also be eligible.
- Awardees will be eligible for another award five years after a previous award. Previous winners will be evaluated on their service learning record since the previous award.
- Faculty, staff, alumni, students, and members of the community may submit nominations. Only one nomination is needed to place a candidate’s name into consideration.
- Persons wishing to nominate a faculty member for this award should download the nomination form and submit it to Sara Miller at email@example.com.
A sub-committee of the Service Learning Advisory Board reviews nominations and selects the recipient.
- March 1, 2019: Deadline for Nominations
- April 1, 2019: Selection of Awardee
- April 2019: Recognize recipient at the annual Murray State Faculty Awards Banquet
- Dr. Miranda Wilson (2018)
- Dr. Peter Weber (2016)
- Dr. Dana (Manley) Todd (2015)
- Dr. Bob Long (2014)
- Dr. Duane Bolin (2012)
- Dr. Robin Zhang (2011)
- Dr. Bommanna Loganathan (2010)
- Mr. Mike Gowan (2009)
- Dr. Kelly Rogers (2008)
- Dr. Howard Whiteman (2007)