Preparing for Summer O
Before you arrive...Click the arrow for more information
Download the App
- Go to your App store or Play Store.
- Search for "Experience Murray State"
- Install the app.
- It will download on your phone as "New2MSU" and it will have the Murray State Shield on it!
- Open the app and "Get Started" then "Sign up with Email"
- Enter in your information and then create your password.
- Select the session you're attending to find a ton of helpful information!
Preparing for your Summer O Session
- As you prepare for Summer O, be sure to view the itinerary and ensure that you are able to stay the entire day as it is required in order to keep your class schedule. View the schedule here!
- Activate your Murray State email address and your myGate account prior to attending Summer O. You should have received a series of letters from the Office of Admissions with instructions on how to do this. For assistance, contact the CTLT Help Desk at (270) 809-2346.
- Check for any holds that may be on your account through myGate. Call Undergraduate Admissions at 270-809-3350 with questions regarding holds. The summer orientation hold will be removed the day of your orientation.
- Review your major listed on your myGate.If you need to change your major click here or contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 270-809-3350.
- Review your ACT scores. If you scored BELOW an 18 in English or 20 in Reading sections of the ACT, you are encouraged to take the developmental placement exam. More information on those exams and their testing dates & times can be found here. You can contact Shauna Mullinsat (270) 809-2667 or firstname.lastname@example.org with more questions about the test.
- Complete your Consent to Release Student Information Form within your myGate account, under the Academics tab within the Student Links box. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. This will also be discussed at Summer O.
What to Bring
- You MUST have your username and password for your myGate account, so write it down if you need to. You will need to know your myGate username & password for advising & registration for Summer O.
- If you intend to take the developmental placement test, you should bring a copy of all college entrance exam scores, such as ACT, SAT, etc.
- If you received dual credit while in high school, you will need to send an official transcript from the accredited institution to Murray State University if you have not done so already. If you are currently taking the course, you can send the official transcript once you have completed the the course this spring. Also, you will want to bring a copy of all college transcripts, including in progress classes, with you to your Summer O session. They will be needed during advising & registration.
- You MUST bring a photo ID to receive your RacerCard at the end of the day.
- Comfortable shoes, a light jacket if you are cold natured, and an umbrella if there is a chance of rain.
Due to a summer construction project, the Curris Center parking lot will be closed for the summer. Parking will be available in various lots off Chestnut Street, near the Curris Center. This parking can best be accessed by way of 16th Street from either the north or south. Specific parking locations will be behind Old Richmond, Franklin, and the lot off of Gilbert Graves Drive. Watch for signs and parking attendants.
If you intend to use a GPS or other navigation system you may use the following address to locate the Curris Center: 1375 Chestnut Street, Murray, KY 42071
All visitors on campus must register their vehicles before arriving. There is no cost to parking during Summer O. Please select the session you will be attending in order to register your vehicle for the day.
RacerCard (Student ID)
If you are a new, incoming first-year/transfer student registered for a Summer Orientation session, you are eligible and highly encouraged to submit your photo electronically for your official Murray State University ID - your RacerCard!
About two weeks before your scheduled Summer O session, you will receive an email from email@example.com with instructions to use the CloudCard online photo submission tool. Be sure to check your Murray State email account.
Submit your photo, inline with the requirements, at least two business days prior to your scheduled Summer O Session to make sure your RacerCard is ready!
Pick up your RacerCard from your Summer O Counselor during checkout. You will be required to show an official government-issued photo ID when picking up your RacerCard.
For more information about your RacerCard and to view photo requirements click here
Foreign Language Placement Exam
All incoming students enrolling in a foreign language class at Murray State who have had prior experience in that language, are required to take a placement exam to determine at which level they should begin (102, 201, 202, 301, etc.). This includes native and heritage speakers of the desired language. The Placement tests in French, German, and Spanish are available on the Web and may be taken at any time convenient to the student. It takes 10-20 minutes and costs $ 10. See the link below. At this time, online Placement tests are unavailable for Japanese and Chinese. For Placement tests in Japanese, please contact Yoko Hatakeyama, M.A. at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Placement tests in Chinese, please contact Dr. Jie Wu at email@example.com.
Click here for more information.
To access the online exams:
- Go to https://www.perpetualworks.com/secure/register/student/
- Login using the password: racers1
- Select your language from the drop down menu and press the "Begin" button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the placement exam.
Getting started at Summer O...
Check in for Summer Orientation will take place at the Curris Center (#23 on campus map). You will receive your name tag(s), program guide, and a bag with any additional handouts.
If you are required to take placement testing, you will report to testing well before 7:15 am. The placement tests will begin promptly at 7:15 am in the Collins Industry and Technology Center (#24 on campus map). This building is located next door to the Curris Center. After your test, please go to the Curris Center to check in for Summer O. The opening session for Summer O will begin at 8:30 am in the Ballroom on the third floor of the Curris Center.
If you are NOT required to take placement testing, you will need to check in for Summer O between 7:00-8:30 am. The opening session will begin at 8:30 am in the Ballroom on the third floor of the Curris Center.
Browsing and Beyond
Special Needs Assistance
Our staff is prepared to accommodate anyone who may have special needs. If you or any of your guests require special assistance please contact the Office of Student Disability Services at 270-809-5737. You may also contact the Office of Recruitment at 270-809-2896.
Paying for College
You will have the opportunity to meet with our Scholarship, Financial Aid, and Bursar offices during Summer O. These offices will be presenting during the Money Matters session after our opening. In the afternoon, representatives will also be available to provide more information about external scholarships, the FAFSA application, the process of work study, the verification process, and much more information. In addition, information will be shared about payment plans, important deadlines, and many more details. A representative from Veterans Affairs will be available at the after the Student Affairs Resources session and at the end of the day on the 3rd floor of the Curris Center.
Other Quick Facts
- The online application is accessible through myGate. All students who live in a residence hall must pay the $150 housing deposit. We cannot waive this fee.
- Our Housing Office will begin making our housing assignments for our new applicants for the fall semester towards the end of May; Housing assignments will not be finalized until the end of July.
- Students are required to live on campus their freshman and sophomore years. Students can request an exemption from this requirement.
- To be exempt from Housing, you must fit in one of the defined categories which can be found on the Housing website. Housing exemption applications must be filled out and approved in order to live off-campus.
- Students who come from the regional tuition states of Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Tennessee are required to live on-campus not only during their freshman and sophomore years, but also during their junior year if they wish to receive the regional tuition rate.
- All incoming first year students are required to be on the All Access Meal Plan (which includes $75 Flex Dollars).
- The All Access Plan is designed to give students maximum flexibility, no matter how busy their class and extracurricular activities schedule is.
- If you have received a Housing exemption, you DO NOT have to also fill out a Meal Plan Exemption Request form.
- Even though you might be living off campus, it is still a good idea to buy a meal plan. Check all of our plans out here.
- We can accommodate special dietary needs.
- Dining Services hires over 400 students/year. To apply, go to murraystatejobs.com.
For more information visit: www.murraystate.edu/dining