The Employee and the Judicial System
Murray State University
POLICY NUMBER: IV K
SUBJECT: THE EMPLOYEE AND THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM
APPLIES TO: STAFF AND FACULTY
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 1993
REVISED FROM: February 17, 1990
THE EMPLOYEE AND THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM
1. A Party to the Litigation
- An employee who is a party to litigation arising from his/her employment with Murray State University will be excused with pay and the time will not be charged against his/her accrued vacation, EXCEPT for those cases the employee is adjudged to be guilty of some criminal activity.
- An employee who is a party to the litigation not arising from employment with Murray State University will be excused without pay or will charge the time off to his/her accrued vacation leave at the employee's option.
- An employee will be excused with pay to appear as a witness for the time the court requires him/her to be at the court and the time required going to and from court.
- A subpoena must be presented to the supervisor approving the time off as soon as possible.
- The time off with pay will not be charged against accrued vacation leave.
3. Jury Duty
- Upon verbal or written notice from the court, the University encourages the employee to serve on jury duty. The employee will be excused with pay for the period of absence.
- The time off will not be charged against accrued vacation leave.
- The employee is to report to work for the portion of the day he/she is dismissed from jury duty.