Facility Rules and Regulations
Attire and Footwear
- Appropriate athletic footwear must be worn whenever using recreational areas. Proper footwear is necessary to protect individuals, as well as the facility. Court shoes must be worn for all court activities. All shoes that mark floors, turf shoes and open-toed shoes are strictly prohibited.
- Participants must wear appropriate exercise attire: T-shirts, warm-up suits, sweat suits, tennis clothing (where appropriate), or aerobics attire. Tank tops may be worn. Women are not permitted to wear only sports bras.
- Non-marking, athletic footwear is required.
- Dunking, slapping the backboards, and hanging on rims or nets are strictly prohibited because of the risk of injury and potential damage to the equipment. Violations of this policy will result in ejection from the facility. Repeated violations may result in suspension from the facility.
- Expectoration (spitting) on floors, walls, drinking fountains, etc., is not allowed.
- All open challenge play shall be handled in a manner fair to all wishing to participate. While others are waiting, the same two teams or groups may participate for a period of time not to exceed one hour.
Dance Studio and Activity Areas
- Scheduled programming has priority usage of this area.
- The room is available for individual workouts during free periods.
- Shoes that mark the floor are prohibited.
- No canes, chairs, or boots. Please help us protect our floors.
Food, Beverage, and Tobacco Use
- All types of tobacco use are prohibited. The John W. Carr Hall Building is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted.
- Possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited in the building.
- Food may not be brought into the activity areas, except during designated functions.
- Drinks are allowed in gymnasiums as long as they are in non-breakable containers.
- Please help keep the facility neat and appealing to all users by properly disposing of litter!
- Use of the facility while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is prohibited.
Lost and Found
- Contact 270-809-4431 to inquire about lost clothing and equipment.
- Items not claimed by the end of each semester will be donated to charity.
- John W. Carr Hall Building staff and Murray State University are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- If an injury occurs, please contact a member of the facility staff immediately.
- If you are bleeding prior to, or begin to bleed during any activity, stop the bleeding and cover the affected area, if needed, with a bandage prior to returning to the activity. First-aid kits are available in the Equipment Room. Please inform a staff member if blood is on equipment or other facility surfaces.
- The University and its staff are not responsible for injuries. All participants are financially responsible for all expenses related to injuries and emergency care, including medical care, ambulance, and other expenses. Medical insurance is strongly recommended for all participants.
- In the event of a fire or other emergency, alarms will sound throughout the facility. Please exit the building using the nearest exit.
- In the event of a tornado siren or announcement of approaching tornado, all facility users should immediately proceed to one of the designated Severe Weather Shelter Areas located adjacent to the Women’s Locker Room hallway and in front of the elevator door (1R) next to the North Gym..
- Do not attempt to use elevators in an emergency situation. Exit through the nearest available exit.
- Please contact 270-809-4431 in case of an injury.
Penalties for Abuse of Facilities or Failure to Abide by Policies and Procedures
- Individuals who damage the facilities or equipment will be responsible for the full repair or replacement cost.
- Individuals who abuse or damage the facilities, or fail to follow established procedures, may forfeit their right to use the facility.
- The preceding guidelines are established with the safety and enjoyment of all participants in mind. Decisions rendered by professional staff on any infraction may be appealed to the chair of the department.
The Equipment Room has equipment available for many activities in the building at
no charge. A valid student ID or driver's license is required when checking out equipment.
List of Equipment
ID Card Policy
Users will be required to have a valid picture ID to check out equipment.
Assumption of Risk
Participants must understand that physical activities contain an element of danger, including serious injury. Participation in all activities is on a voluntary basis at the individual’s own risk. All participants are strongly encouraged to undergo a physical examination, consult with a physician in regard to appropriate activities for fitness level, and to carry medical insurance coverage prior to participating in any activity. Murray State University does not carry medical coverage for participants in the John W. Carr Hall Building.
Computer and Internet Access
Wireless Internet access is available in most locations throughout the building.