Housing Exemptions

Exemptions to Residency Requirement

Freshmen and sophomore students (defined as students who have compiled fewer than 60 hours of college credit) are required to live in university housing for at least four semesters. Exempted from this policy are students who fit in one of the following categories:

  • Students who are married.
  • Students who have children.
  • Veterans of at least two years' active military service.
  • Students who have reached their 21st birthday prior to the first day of classes.
  • Students who have resided in residence halls for four complete semesters (excluding summers).
  • Students who commute to school daily from the permanent, legal residence of their parents (within 50 miles).
  • Non-regional tuition students who have achieved Junior status (60 hours earned).
  • Students who have been enrolled full time at a postsecondary institution for four semesters (excluding summer).
  • Regional tuition students who have achieved senior status (90 hours earned).

Regional Tuition

All students who come from the regional tuition counties of Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee are required to rent a residence hall room not only during their freshman and sophomore years, but also during their junior year if they wish to receive the regional tuition rate. Seniors (classified as students who have earned 90 hours) are exempt from this housing requirement and therefore do not need to complete an exemption form.

Reciprocity and Instate Tuition Discount

Students from Henry, Obion, Stewart and Weakley counties in Tennessee fall under the Tennessee Reciprocity Agreement approved by the KY Council on Postsecondary Education. Students from the four counties in Tennessee are treated as Kentucky students in relation to admission, housing and dining policies. Students are assessed the out-of-state tuition and given a tuition discount to equal the difference between the higher of the Kentucky instate rate or the average Tennessee instate rate. Students from Montgomery County in Tennessee are treated the same as the other four counties except for the admission policy.

Students from Massac County in Illinois and Posey, Vanderburgh or Warrick counties in Indiana are eligible for the Instate Tuition Discount. Students are assessed out-of-state tuition and receive a tuition discount for the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition rates. Students from these counties will be treated as Kentucky students in relation to housing and dining policies.

PLEASE NOTE: Students receiving the regional discount are not eligible for an exemption from on-campus housing until they accumulate 90 hours.

What is the process for obtaining an exemption if I am a commuter?

What is the process for obtaining an exemption if I am married, have a child, or I have two years' active military service?

What is the process for obtaining an exemption for a reason that is not included in the criteria listed on the On-Campus Housing Exemption Application?

  • Complete the On-Campus Housing Exemption Application
  • Submit documentation which supports the exemption request. Examples of documentation may include:
    • Letter addressed to the Associate Vice President of Student Affairs explaining your reasons for needing to live off-campus
    • Medical documentation from your physician
    • Other applicable documents
  • The student will received notification of the decision in writing.

Where do I send my completed forms and supporting documentation?

By Mail or in Person:

Murray State Housing Office
206 Stewart Stadium
Murray, KY 42071
By Fax: 270.809.3578
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday

How do I appeal the decision of my exemption request?

Appeals must be submitted in writing along with any supporting documentation. The student should submit their appeal to msu.housingexemptions@murraystate.edu.

Exemption Forms