Grants can come from the federal government, the state, or the institution. Grants do not have to be paid back, unless you become ineligible. Occasionally, you might have to pay back part or all of a grant if, for example, you withdraw from school before finishing the semester or if you drop a class.

Federal Grants

The Federal Department of Education offers a variety of federal grants to students attending college. In order to receive the federal grants, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Visit this site for more information about federal grants.

Click the arrow for more information

Federal Pell Grant

Pell grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. Amounts can change yearly. The amount you get, though, will depend on your:
  • Financial need
  • Cost of attendance
  • Enrollment level (full-time, 3/4-time, 1/2-time, or <1/2-time)
  • Your plans to attend a full academic year or less

Visit this site for more information.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The maximum amount that Murray State awards a student is $500/year. Murray State receives a limited amount of funds from the federal government for this grants so not all needy students will receive the FSEOG. Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first.

Visit this site for more information.

Federal TEACH Grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 a year in grant assistance to students who agree to serve for at least four years as full-time "highly qualified" teachers in high-need fields in public or not-for-profit private elementary or secondary schools that serve students from low-income families.  Murray State awards this grant to juniors, seniors, and graduate students who qualify.

Visit this site for more information.

State Grants (KY)

Kentucky, as well as many other states, offer state grants to students attending schools in their state.  In order to receive the KY state grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Click the arrow for more information

College Access Program Grant (CAP)

For Kentucky The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) awards the CAP grant for up to $1900 per year, for a maximum of eight semesters, to eligible undergraduate Kentucky residents that are attending Kentucky schools.

Visit this site for more information.

Institutional Grants

Murray State offers different grants to student attending the university.

Click the arrow for more information

Racer Advantage Grant (RAD)

The Racer Advantage Grant is an institutional grant that you may use to help cover direct University expenses. To apply for this grant, you must complete a scholarship application. The grant is typically given to students based on their calculated need after completing the FAFSA.

Visit the scholarship site for more information on the Murray State scholarship application process.

Contact Us

500 Sparks Hall, Murray, KY 42071-3312
Email -
Phone - (270)809-2546
Toll free - (800)272-4678,ext 3
Fax - (270)809-3116
(Please refer to the events calendar for university closure dates.)