If you're a major or minor in one of our languages, or if you're just a student who's interested in language, we strongly encourage you to spend time abroad. You can find month-long summer programs, as well as programs for an entire semester or year, on Murray State's study-abroad database or with the Kentucky Institute for International Studies (KIIS). Make sure to meet with a faculty member in your language to learn more about how different programs will fit with your coursework at Murray State, and schedule an appointment with Education Abroad to learn about the many resources available to help fund your trip--including special scholarships for language students.
Some Exchange Programs for Language:
- Chinese: Quingdao Agricultural University
- French: EDC Paris Business School
- German: Universität Regensburg
- Japanese: Kansai Gaidai University, Doshisha University, Reitaku University, Tenri University, Tokyo Metropolitan University, University of Toyama, Myojo University
- Spanish: Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (Chile), Universidad de Alicante (Spain), Universitat Jaume I (Spain)
Language Faculty Abroad
In Summer 2020, three of us will lead study-abroad programs:
- Yoko Hatakeyama will direct a KIIS program in Japan, where students will visit some of the country's major cities while taking intermediate or advanced Japanese courses, and/or English-language courses on Japanese culture and religion.
- Dr. Roxane Riegler will teach on a KIIS program in Munich, where students will live with German families, explore historical and cultural sites in Munich and Bavaria, and take intermediate and advanced courses on German grammar, history, literature, and popular culture.
- Dr. Ben Post will teach on a KIIS program in Mérida, Mexico, where students will live with host families in the cultural capital of the Yucatán Peninsula while exploring nearby archeological sites, beaches, and underground rivers. Intermediate-level coursework includes Spanish for medical professionals as well as classes on Mexican culture and literature.