Student Success Center
The Student Success Center is here to help you on your pathway to success. We can support you through each checkpoint on your path from admission to Teacher Education into student teaching and through teacher certification.
SPRING 2019 HOURS:
Monday - Friday: 9AM - 3PM
We offer resources for Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) reading, writing, and math exams and Praxis II content tests.Click the arrow for more information
Admission to Teacher Education
- Attend Admission to Teacher Education Orientation
- Passing scores on Praxis Core/CASE: Reading 156, Math 150, Writing 162
- 24 Credit Hours with a B or better in: ENG 101, 102 ,104, 105 or HON 150; COM 161 or HON 165; MAT 117 or higher; EDU 180 or equivalent
- Overall GPA of 2.75
- Complete admission interview with academic advisor
- Submit application after requirements have been met
Admission to Student Teaching
- Attend Student Teaching Orientation two semesters prior to student teaching
- Granted admission to Teacher Education
- Maintain minimum 2.75 GPA's in major/areas, professional education, and overall
- Demonstrate teaching ability in field and clinical studies
- Document completion of 200 or more field hours on Audit and Component Sheet and in Kentucky Field Experience Tracking System (KFETS)
- File application in Teacher Education Services two semesters prior to student teaching
Kentucky Teacher Certification
- Completion of approved teacher education program including student teaching
- Obtain passing scores required on Praxis specialty area tests and the appropriate PLT
- Complete all applicable computer literacy and application requirements
- Earn bachelor's degree from Murray State University
- File application for certification (CA-1) with Teacher Education Services
For more information, visit Teacher Education Services homepage.
Register for Praxis tests at ets.org.Click the arrow for more information
Education Testing Services Resources
How To Begin To Prepare For A Praxis Exam
- The first step in preparing for a Praxis exam is to take a practice test.
- This practice test needs to be as similar to the actual test as possible. Practice test can be found in Katherine Farmer's Praxis Canvas courses (email Katherine at firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Practice test scores will determine needed test prep.
- A score less than 70% indicates a need for content review. Contact The Student Success Center to schedule an appointment to develop a study plan.
- A score of 70-84% would benefit from additional review using the test prep websites listed in section below.
- A score of 85% or higher indicates readiness to take Praxis exam.
Test Prep Websites
Content Review Courses
Content review program are available for the following Praxis exams:
- Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE)
- Praxis II: Biology
- Praxis II: Chemistry
- Praxis II: Elementary Education Multi-Subject
- Praxis II: English Language Arts
- Praxis II: Mathematics
- Praxis II: World and U.S. History
- Praxis II: Middle School Subject Tests
Edmentum Courseware is an online platform that can be accessed anywhere and anytime. Email Ashley Bourke (email@example.com) for access to this program.
Paying for the Praxis
- Fee waivers may be available for college students who meet all eligibility criteria. Visit the ETS fee waiver webpage for information.
Schedule appointment - abourke.youcanbook.me
Ashley Bourke- firstname.lastname@example.org / 270.809.5620
Student Success Center- email@example.com / 270.809.3253/ 2217 Alexander Hall