Murray State University´s College of Education and Human Services provides an alternative route to Kentucky teacher certification through the Education Professional Standards Board. The goal of the Murray State University Program is to ensure that every community will have a talented and dedicated teacher in every classroom. The Alternative Route to Teacher Certification is structured under Option VI of the alternatives routes approved by the Education Professional Standards Board and the 2000 session of Kentucky´s General Assembly. The Alternative Route Program allows an individual to complete the educational program at Murray State University with concurrent employment in a school district. The candidate must complete all requirements within three years and pass all required assessments.
• Have a bachelor's degree in a certifiable area for a minimum of three years prior to admission in the program.
• 2.75 GPA or 3.0 on the last 30 hours
One of the following:
• Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE)
> Math 150
> Reading 156
> Writing 162
• Graduate Records Exam (GRE)
> Verbal 150
> Quantitative 143
> Analytical writing 4.0
NOTE: On April 13th, 2020, the EPSB granted an exception for this requirement for candidates entering into the program in fall 2020. Candidates will be issued a one-year certificate. Applicants will have one year to meet this requirement for renewal of the certificate. If this requirement is not met, the candidate will no longer be eligible to be in the program.
• Agree to abide by and uphold the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel established by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board.
• Complete and submit a formal application and entry packet.
• Entry packet reviewed by a committee from the College of Education and Human Services and the content area to determine the program of study.
Click the arrow for more information