Frequently Asked Questions

When can I schedule for classes?

Please check the online University Calendar for scheduling dates and times:


Why do I have an advising hold on my account?

Advisor holds are placed, automatically, by the Registrar’s office in preparation for pre-scheduling for the next semester.


How can I get my advising hold removed?

On-campus students need to come to the Center for Undergraduate Business Advising in BB 351. We do not make appointments for advising. Ms. Johnsonius will send out an email and post signs in the building displaying specific advising dates depending on your classification (e.g. freshman).

Ms. Johnsonius and her graduate assistants are in the office from 8:00 to 4:30 except for classes, lunch and meetings. Come by anytime, and we'll work you in on a first-come, first-served basis.

Your advisor hold will be released within 48 hours (or 2 business days since offices are closed on the weekends) of meeting with your advisor.


I came in for advising, but I still have a hold on my account.

Be certain to check myGate for holds that are not advisor-related. If you have no other holds and it has been 48 hours (or 2 business days) since meeting with your advisor, please check with our office.


How do I get admitted to the business programs?

Admission to the AACSB-accredited business programs of the Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business is actually a two-step process. The first step is admission to Murray State University. The second step is admission to a Departmental Advisor in your area of study. Check here for the admission requirements

After you have completed the preadmission requirements, you will be admitted to your respective business program and assigned a new advisor in the department of your area or major. Ms. Johnsonius will send a letter to you telling you that you've been admitted and who your new advisor is.


How can I change my major/area?

Changing your major/area is really quite simple. Here are the steps:

  1. Go to your current advisor and ask for a change of major form. (Be sure to take some form of ID with you.)
  2. Complete the form with your current advisor signing in the appropriate place.
  3. Take the change of major form and your advising folder to CUBA if you are changing to an AACSB-accredited business program, your new department’s secretary, or advisor if known.
  4. If you’re changing from one business area to another, your folder will stay in this office until you’re admitted to the College.


How do I apply for graduation?

Complete the graduation application on the Academics tab on myGate by the posted deadline. The graduation office support site has information on this process, it is available at the Registrar's Office Support Site.