Getting Started at MSU
To start using GI Bill education benefits, you must be admitted to Murray State University. Then you have the opportunity to receive your military benefits that will go toward your education. Review the forms below to get started!Click the arrow for more information
Applying for Education Benefits
Eligibility for veteran and dependent education benefits is determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Our office will help you complete the application and certify your enrollment to the DVA so you can receive benefits.
Types of Benefits
- Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill- Active Duty (MGIB_AD)
- Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill- Selected Reserves (MGIB_SR)
- Chapter 1607 - Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
- Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)
- Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation Program
Continuing Education Benefits
Each semester after registration, students eligible for benefits must complete the certification request form. This is a form specific to MSU and not a VA form. A student will be certified during a semester only after completing the CRF and turning in any required documentation. Generally, it takes the Office of Veterans Affairs a week to submit a certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Education Benefit Checklist
Eligible veterans, service members, and dependents will need to follow the checklist for the chapter for which they are going to be receiving benefits to ensure timely payment of benefits.
- Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill – Veteran
- Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill – Dependent
- Chapter 35, Dependents Educational Assistance
- Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty
- Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves
- Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
- Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation
Operation Graduation Scholarship
Murray State University offers a renewable fund to aid student veterans with purchasing text books needed to pursue their MSU degree. Students must buy text books from the MSU bookstore only. The guidelines and requirements for eligibility of this scholarship can be found on the Scholarships website. For more information, contact us at 270.809.3754 or email@example.com.
If you would like to donate to this fund, please visit the Development website. Select the "Give Now" button and fill in all required information. Select "Other" for Gift Designation and type "Operation Graduation" in the comments box. This will allow the funds to be set aside for this specific purpose.