The Institute for International Studies, as a division of the university which provides coordination for all activities with an international emphasis, is in the unique position of being able to provide special programs for groups. All special programs are contractual. Please contact Weihong Gao at email@example.com to begin making arrangements. These programs are of three basic types:
Tailored Programs with an International Theme
Programs with an international focus or for international visitors can be arranged on a contractual basis and tailored to meet the needs of the group. Preferred program lengths would range from two to six (2-6) weeks with a maximum of 25 individual participants. Housing and food services can be provided. With sufficient preparation, translators in some languages may be provided. It is recommended that groups contact the Institute at least 6 months in advance to insure adequate preparation.
Previous special programs have included a management training program for administrators from P.R. China's educational districts which included on-campus seminars, school visits, and visits to federal administrative offices in Washington DC. Instructional materials, cost of instruction, lodging, and local excursions were included in the contractual costs.
English Language Instruction for Special Groups
In addition to a full program of English language instruction available throughout the year at specific dates, the Institute offers highly flexible programs for groups at times convenient to the group. Although summer is the most often requested period, groups are not limited to this time of year. It is recommended that interested groups contact the Institute at least six months prior to the time they wish to participate.
Programs may consist of standard courses in conversation, reading, writing, and grammar, or they may include an array of subjects that can include (but are not limited to):
- English for specific purposes
- English for teachers
- Teacher education
- Technical writing
- Business English
- Legal Terminology
- Pronunciation training
- English for public speakers
- Intensive conversation
- Introduction to American culture
Services to those working with English as a Second Language
IIS offers a variety of services to those concerned with English as a second or foreign language. IIS's services are designed to meet the needs of the contracting school, program, industry or business. Some of the services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Consultation to schools (K-12 and adult-education) interested in setting up ESL programs, enlarging or reorganizing their existing programs, or establishing an assessment program of student language abilities or subject-area knowledge.
- Consultation on matters of funding and grant writing for such programs
- Consultation to industries and businesses interested in hiring limited or non-English speaking persons. IIS will help establish employment and retention programs that include ESL instruction for workers and workshops for recruiters and employers.
- Delivery of professional development workshops to teachers and all persons involved in the education of limited or non-English speaking persons. This includes ESL teachers and subject or content-area teachers with no ESL background.
- Consultation and delivery of professional development workshops to English as a Second or Foreign Language educators overseas.