Header

HISTORY OF THE LIONS

Lee Clark College Richmond College is named in honor of James H. Richmond, who served as the third president of the university, then known as Murray State Teachers College, from 1936 until 1945. Richmond Hall itself is the oldest residence hall still in use at Murray State University. It was built in 1961 to house 242 men. Richmond Hall became known as Richmond College when the university established the campus wide residential college system in 1996. Murray State was the first public university in the nation with a successful, comprehensive residential college program.

Header

James H. Richmond

The new Richmond Residential College opened fall semester of 2009. The four-story building houses 270 students in suites, double rooms, and single rooms. Richmond has two large recreation rooms, study rooms on each floor, laundry rooms, and a billiards room. Richmond Residential College has a total of 1300 members.

The student-driven, faculty-led community of residents plays host to an array of events that include but are not limited to: Parents' Weekend, Richmond on the Green, a Homecoming Booth during Murray State's Homecoming festivities, a Halloween Party, Cookouts, Are You Smarter than an RA?, Richmond Magic Show, Relay for Life, Letters to Soldiers, Lion and Rose Banquet, Academic Bowl, and many intramural sporting events.

Richmond College also sponsors the Richmond Honor Society, a Richmond newsletter, and an academic team.