Engaged Poster Contest
The Office of Service Learning (OSL) in collaboration with the Office of Research and Creative Activity (ORCA) aim to foster community engagement and promote excellence in community-based research in support of Murray State University’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP): Bring Learning to Life. As part of this coordinated effort, the OSL and ORCA encourage students to take advantage of undergraduate research opportunities such as Scholars’ Week and the Engaged Scholarship Poster Contest.
All students undertaking community-engagement research are encouraged to submit their posters for participation in both Scholars’ Week and the Engaged Scholarship Poster Contest. A Selection Committee will choose multiple submissions to be displayed at Scholars’ Week and identify one individual project and one group project that will be recognized with the Outstanding Community-based Research Awards.
The submission process is open to all undergraduate students conducting community-based research and/or service-learning projects that had a real impact upon the community. Qualifying projects could include, but are not limited to: a community-based research project, a service-learning course project, unpaid internship project with a community-based organization or public sector agency, or philanthropic/outreach project of a course or independent study. Posters will need to be informative and include purpose/hypothesis/research question; methodology or procedure; results/findings (if available); interpretations/implications; recommendations/summary (if available)
- Outstanding Community-Based Research Project – Individual
- Outstanding Community-Based Research Project – Group
- Posters may not exceed a dimension of 4 feet by 4 feet. Easels and a 4 foot by 4 foot foam backing board will be provided on which to display your poster. Backing material for the poster must be provided by the student.
- To design your poster, please click on “Tips for Designing an Effective Poster." More help is available at http://libguides.
- A sample poster template is available.
To submit a poster:
- Sign up for a Digital Commons (http://bit.ly/1pddKbX) account. A step-by-step tutorial page has been created about how to create a Digital Commons account and register for Scholars Week.
- To be eligible for the prize, check the box next to Service Learning Office under Affiliations.
- Fall Scholars Week: November 12-16, 2018
- Deadline for students to submit an abstract: October 12, 2018 by 5PM
- Accepting submissions for Vol.2, Iss.2 of Steeplechase: An ORCA Student Journal. More info.
- Spring Scholars Week: April 15-19, 2019
- Deadline for students to submit an abstract: May 29, 2019 by 5PM
- Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Contact the Service Learning Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.