Gunshots Heard/Workplace Violence
Building Coordinator Program | Current Emergency Alerts | Emergency Procedures | Environmental | Fire Safety
Lab Safety | Occupational Safety & Health | Programs & Training | Public Safety & Emergency Management
Directory | Links | ESH Home
Violence may take many forms and may include use of deadly weapons. Advance warning of the violence is unlikely.
"Run. Hide. Fight." Video - Surviving an Active Shooter Event
"Shots Fired" Video -Workplace Version*
"Shots Fired" Video - Classroom Version*
*Use your MSU network username and password to view the videos.
If you are involved in a situation where gunshots are heard, the following actions are recommended:
- Exit the building immediately.
- Notify anyone you may encounter to exit the building immediately.
- Call MSU Police at 911 or 2222 and provide details of the situation.
If you are directly involved and exiting the building is not possible, the following actions are recommended:
- Go to the nearest room or office.
- Close and lock or barricade the door.
- Cover the door windows and turn off lights.
- Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
- DO NOT answer the door.
- Call MSU Police at 911 or 2222, and inform of:
a. Your name
b. Your location (be specific as possible)
c. Number of shooters (if known)
d. Identification of shooter(s)
e. Number of person involved in situation (if known)
- Wait for emergency responders to assist you out of the building.
- Immediately evacuate the building, using the established evacuation route. Carefully avoid the attention of those taking hostages.
- Take no action to intervene.
- Call MSU Police at 911. If there is no answer, or if the line is busy, call 2222. Provide as much accurate information as possible and, if it is safe to do so, stay on the line with the dispatcher.
Remember to never put yourself in harms way.