Student Organization Registration
Information regarding Student Organization Registration at Murray State University can be found below. Please read ALL of this information in its entirety before requesting a student organization to become registered/re-recognized through the Center for Student Involvement.
University Recognition Statement
Any student organization who wishes to affiliate themselves with the Murray State University name and utilize campus facilities must be reorganized by the university.
- To receive University recognition, student organizations must be registered through the Center for Student Involvement, located on the first floor of the Curris Center, Room 111.
- Groups seeking to become recognized by the University must follow the steps outlined below. Documents will be submitted to the Center for Student Involvement where they will be reviewed and approved.
Student Organization Registration Guidelines
- The Student Organization Registration/Re-Recognition Form consists of:
- Identification of the group’s advisor(s) and the campus mailing address, campus email address, and campus telephone number must be completed for advisor(s)
- Identification of organizational officers and a permanent mailing address, telephone number, and email address must be completed
A constitution, bylaws, or charter contains specific information regarding the organization’s structure and procedures. This document must include the following:
- A clear statement of purposes
- Requirements and obligations of membership
The following statements must be included in the constitution in order for a student organization to be considered for University recognition:
- A limitation on membership to matriculated students, but without any restrictions on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin, religion, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status except as expressly permitted by law.
- A pledge that the organization will abide the rules and regulations of the University as a condition to initial and continued registered status
*Please click HERE for a Sample Constitution to help guide you in creating your own!
- The Advisor(s) work(s) closely with the student organization to ensure a cooperative relationship between the organization, its members, and the University.
- The Advisor(s) ensure(s) that all reasonable steps are taken to protect the safety and welfare of all student organization members during meetings and activities.
- The Advisor(s) is(are) responsible for assisting organizational officers in completing necessary requirements (i.e. Student Organization Maintenance, contacting the IRS to obtain a tax identification number if one has not already been established, etc.) and for ensuring that these documents/forms are submitted at the appropriate deadlines throughout the academic year.
> Student Organization Registration & Re-Recognition Information <
Terms to Know
- Registration - This a term that is used to describe the process that NEW Student Organizations go through in order to become recognized by Murray State University for the current academic year.
- Re-Recognition - This is a term that is used to describe the process that PAST Student Organizations go through in order to become re-recognized by Murray State University for the current academic year.
- Click on the link.
- Complete all components of form.
- Submit the completed Signature Form to the Center for Student Involvement.
New Student Organizations
Past Student Organizations
Student Organization Registration Maintenance Information
- To maintain recognition from the University and to reserve on-campus space, each organization
must submit the Student Organization Registration/Re-Recognition Form at the following
- At the beginning of each Fall Semester.
- Forms that must be submitted during an academic year
- MUST submit changes when they occur
- Faculty/Staff advisor(s)
- Contact Information
- Changes in Officers
- If organization becomes inactive
- At the beginning of each Fall Semester.
Renew Officers of a Student Organization
Officer Renewal Form: will become available Spring 2019
Registration materials must be submitted by the designated deadline in order to successfully register a Student Organization for the 2018-2019 academic year.
**Remember: While the Student Organization Registration Form is submitted digitally, the Signature Form must be physically submitted to the Murray State University Center for Student Involvement, located on the 1st floor of the Curris Center by the registration deadline date and time.
DEADLINES TO FOLLOW
- Student Organization Re-Recognition (ALL Past Student Organizations): Monday, September 10, 2018 by 4:30 PM.
- Student Organization Registration (ALL New Student Organizations): No deadline is required.