Steps to Becoming a Registered Student Organization
- Any organization which uses the Murray State University name and facilities must be recognized by the university.
- To receive University recognition, student groups must be registered with the Center of Student Involvement. Registration request must be submitted to the CSI, located on the first floor of
the Curris Center, Room 111.
- Groups seeking to become recognized by the University must follow the steps outlined below. Documents will be submitted to the Center of Student Involvement where they will be reviewed. Final approval of all student organizations will be made by the Vice President of Student Affairs.
The Student Organization Registration form must be completed online.
- Identification of the group’s advisor(s) and their campus mailing address, campus email address, and campus telephone number must be completed for advisors and submitted to CSI.
- Identification of organizational officers and a permanent mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address should be submitted to the CSI office.
- To maintain recognition from the university and to reserve on-campus meeting space,
each organization must submit the Student Organization Registration form at the following times:
- At the beginning of each Fall semester. All student organizations MUST Register and Submit changes when they occur.
- Forms that must be submitted during an academic year:
- Faculty/staff advisor
- Contact information
- Changes in officers
- If the organization becomes inactive
- These forms can be found online and may be obtained in the CSI office.
- Constitution, By-Laws, and Charter
- A constitution, by-laws- or charter contains specific information regarding the organization’s
structure and procedures. This document must include the following:
- A clear statement of purposes
- Requirements and obligations of membership
- The following statements must be included for a student group to be considered for
- A limitation on membership to matriculated students, but without any restrictions on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status except as expressly permitted by law.
- A pledge that the organization will abide the rules and regulations of the university as a condition to initial and continued registered status.
- The Advisors’ Statement form must be completed in its entirety. This form can be found online.
- Advisors work closely with the club to ensure a cooperative relationship between the club, its members, and the University.
- The advisor ensures that all reasonable steps are taken to protect the safety and welfare of all club members during meetings and activities.
- The advisor is responsible for assisting club officers in completing necessary paperwork (i.e. Student Organization Information update form, contacting the IRS to obtain a tax identification number if one has not already been established, Organization Aid Application, etc.), and for ensuring that these documents/forms are submitted at the appropriate deadlines throughout the academic year.
- A constitution, by-laws- or charter contains specific information regarding the organization’s structure and procedures. This document must include the following:
Please note that any missing documents will delay the approval process of registering a student group. All forms must be completed legibly and in their entirety.
For Questions or Additional Information Please Contact:
The Center for Student Involvement
Curris Center, Room 111
270-809-6349 or email email@example.com