*NEWS & UPDATES*Click the arrow for more information
Planning to Attend MSU for Summer?
All students who are enrolled for summer and have completed a 2016-2017 FAFSA will be considered for federal aid. Students will be awarded federal aid for which they are eligible. If awarded federal loans, the student must go to the myGate account to accept the amount of loans needed for the summer term (and complete the promissory note and entrance counseling if you have not already done so). If you have any questions regarding the process or your award, please contact our office at 270-809-2546 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refer to the Loan Eligibility Chart to determine if you are eligible for loans in the summer. If you request an Owen Loan for summer, below is the application required and the regulations.
- Must be 23 years of age or older
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment for the summer term
- Have a definite form of repayment
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0
Racer One Stop
New in 2017, students can take advantage of the following services at ONE convenient location
inside the Curris Center!
University staff will be available to provide information and answers for Financial Aid, Billing, Registration, and Scholarships.
Racer One Stop Dates include: TBD
- Please note that the Financial Aid Offices in Sparks Hall will be closed to walk in traffic during these times.
2017-2018 FAFSA is Available - Apply Now!
- To complete the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), please make sure you use the federal website www.fafsa.gov.
- To sign the FAFSA electronically, a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) is required for both you and your parents, if you are a dependent student. The FSA ID may be obtained by going to www.fafsa.gov and clicking on the FSA ID icon.
- The Department of Education and the IRS have currently disabled the IRS Data retrieval option when completing your FAFSA. We do not know when it will again be available. Please use your tax return to complete the financial information at this time.
- You must use your 2015 Federal Tax Return to complete both the 2016/2017 and the 2017/2018 FAFSAs.
- The FAFSA should be filed as soon after October 1st as possible. If you are a resident of Kentucky, the College Access Program (CAP) Grant has limited funding available. The grant will be awarded to eligible students until funds are exhausted.
Looking for assistance in completing the FAFSA?
Check out this video!
According to a recent survey, the majority of families underestimate the amount of financial aid they may be eligible to receive and therefore do not complete the FAFSA. If you don't apply, you'll never know if you may have been eligible for a federal grant. For more on this survey, please click on the following link: Don't Miss Out.
Verification is a process that requires financial aid staff to review the accuracy of information you and your family provided on the FAFSA. The Department of Education selects roughly 30% of all FAFSAs submitted nationally for the verification process. In addition, MSU will select siblings and other direct family members attending Murray State if someone else in the family has been selected. MSU is contracted with the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) to complete verifications on our behalf.
If you are selected for verification, you must provide the appropriate documentation to continue your request for federal financial aid. Requested items will vary per student. Required documentation will be listed on your MyGate account. Please access your myGate to determine if you have documents outstanding. Please visit this site to assist in submitting those documents.
The IRS Data Retrieval will also expedite verification processing if the student is selected. If you are unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval process, you can visit this site to see how to request a tax return transcript.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) Not Currently Available
- The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has shut down the Tool to import tax information to your FAFSA.
- This was done as a matter of security and identity theft concerns.
- No date has been given for when this will be restored.
- Students and families should use a copy of their 2015 tax return to complete the FAFSA.
- If you do not have a copy of your tax return, you can request a copy of your tax return transcript from the IRS and once received, use that information to complete the FAFSA.
Be sure and visit the Events Calendar for important dates.
500 Sparks Hall, Murray, KY 42071-3312
Email - email@example.com
Phone - (270)809-2546
Toll free - (800)272-4678, ext. 3
Fax - (270)809-3116
(Please refer to the events calendar for university closure dates.)