Early Assurance Program
University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Bowling Green
In partnership with Western Kentucky University (WKU) and The Medical Center at Bowling
Green (MCBG), the University of Kentucky, College of Medicine (UK COM) has announced
plans to develop a regional campus in Bowling Green that will matriculate its first
class in 2018. Physician workforce needs in Kentucky in general, and in South Central
and Western Kentucky in particular, will be addressed by this initiative that is intended
to increase the number of students from the region who complete medical school locally.
In an effort to attract top students and increase the applicant pool to this initiative, the UK COM and Murray State University (MSU) will launch an Early Assurance Program (EAP). The Early Assurance Program will provide selected MSU students with assured admission to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine-Bowling Green (UK COM-BG) upon successful completion of the program requirements listed further below, and graduation from MSU.
Eligibility Criteria for the Early Assurance Program
MSU students must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for application to the program:
- An ACT composite score of 26 or higher, or SAT equivalent.
- At least 60 credit hours applicable to a degree, either earned or in progress, including:
o Two semesters of majors coursework in the biological sciences, with laboratories;
o Three semesters of majors coursework in chemistry, including organic chemistry, with laboratories;
o Two semesters of college English and/or communications.
- A cumulative grade point average of a 3.6 or better in both science coursework and overall.
- Evidence of the dedication, compassion, personal and professional bearing necessary to be a competent and caring physician.
- Indicated clear interest in establishing medical practice in the South Central/Western region of Kentucky.
- Commitment to participate in all elements of the Early Assurance Program.
Early Assurance Program Activities
Special enrichment experiences for admitted EAP students from MSU will begin during the summer following acceptance and culminate the following summer, prior to their application to the UK COM-BG. The Purchase AHEC (housed at Murray State University) and MSU faculty will be involved activities that will include:
- Exposure to hospital and office practice.
- Shadowing and mentoring experiences with physicians.
- Academic advising at MSU.
- Targeted research/seminar/course experiences.
- MCAT preparation.
- One-week boot camp experience during the second summer to assist students in preparation for their application to medical school.
Program Requirements for Assured Admission to the UK COM-BG
Fulfill the prerequisite course requirements to the UK COM and:
- Maintain a collegiate grade point average of a 3.5 or better in both science coursework and in cumulative grade point average.
- Record a MCAT total score at the 65th percentile or higher, with no subscale score below the 50th percentile.
- Participate in all Early Assurance Program components.
- Submit an AMCAS application to the UK COM-BG by August 1, applying Early Decision to the Bowling Green program.
- Obtain a supportive letter of evaluation from the MSU premedical committee.
- Complete a satisfactory interview for admission to the UK COM-BG.
Selection Process for the Early Assurance Program
Any questions about this program should be directed to Dr. Ricky Cox via E-mail (email@example.com)
or phone (270-809-6543).
This program is a collaboration between the Jones CSET, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and the Purchase AHEC