Take Your Place in the Murray State Tradition
Veterans Affairs

Skip Navigation LinksProspective Students > Veterans > Veterans Affairs > Terminology


Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) - The DVA is the federal agency responsible for the processing and payment of VA Education Benefits in accordance with Title 38. MSU personnel are not affiliated with or employed by the DVA.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - This is issued by DVA when your completed application has been reviewed without the University submitting an enrollment certification, eligibility exists and your program of study is approved.  The COE is only valid at the school named and only for the program indicated.

Award Letter - DVA will issue an award letter to you when payment of your VA Educational Benefits are authorized.  This serves as notification that your enrollment has been processed by DVA for a specific time period.

Delimiting Date - The expiration date of your VA Educational Benefits.

Matriculation - This means that all documents required to make the student a degree-seeking student have been received by the University. This can include, but is not limited to, the following documents: High School Transcript or GED score, official transcripts from all other colleges attended, DD-214 Member Copy-4 and/or an AARTS transcript (if still on active duty).

MAP - The document prepared by the Office of the Registrar indicating which credits from previous training/institutions have transferred to MSU. The MAP is used by a VA Office to determine if credit falls within the degree declared.

Certification Request Form (CRF) - The certification request form is the school form used by servicepersons, veterans, reservists, and dependents to request certification/payment for the VA education benefits. The CRF must be submitted each and every term to the appropriate OVA.

Mitigating Circumstances - DVA defines mitigating circumstances as "unanticipated and unavoidable events which interfere with pursuit of a course." A student may submit mitigating circumstances when requesting a waiver in the case of overpayment. DVA will adjudicate the matter and either waive the overpayment or require repayment of funds.

Overpayment - A debt which the student owes to DVA. Most commonly, overpayment is the result of withdrawal from a course or courses after the regular drop/add period.

Training Time - Training Time dictates a student's rate of pay. Rate of pay for active duty servicepersons and chapter 32 recipients is outlined in the appropriate DVA Summary of Education Benefits.

Change of Major/Minor Form - The University document used by students to officially declare or change degree program.

Decorative image
Site Directory