Murray State University
POLICY NUMBER: IV D
APPLIES TO: STAFF AND TWELVE-MONTH FACULTY
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 1993
REVISED FROM: February 17, 1990
The University recognizes the following holidays for all regular employees except faculty on academic year contracts:
Presidential Election Day (every 4th year)
Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving Day
Friday following Thanksgiving Day
Three days to be assigned around the Christmas Holidays
New Year's Eve
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday
Spring Break (last 3 days of the scheduled break)
1. Establishing the University Calendar
a. Specific dates shall be established for University holidays each year based on legal holidays and the University calendar.
b. When a recognized holiday falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday shall usually be observed as a holiday.
c. When a recognized holiday falls on a Sunday, the following Monday shall be observed as a holiday.
d. The holiday calendar will be distributed to all departments each year by Human Resources.
2. Holiday Compensation for Regular Employees
a. All regular employees will receive all the holidays off with pay as long as it does not conflict with departmental schedules and meets the following conditions:
(1) The employee must work the scheduled work day before and the next work day after any designated holiday; or
(2) the employee did not work the day before and/or the day after a holiday due to vacation, sick leave, or other excused absences with pay; or
(3) if a holiday occurs on a full-time staff employee's regularly scheduled day off, either another day off with pay or regular payment for the holiday will be granted.
b. Any hourly employee required to work on a holiday may choose one of the following methods of payment:
(1) Paid at the rate of 1 l/2 times the employee's regular rate of pay for hours worked during the holiday period in addition to regular holiday pay, or
(2) time and one-half off for each hour worked. The scheduled time off must be at a time approved by the supervisor.
c. Any non-hourly employee required to work on a holiday may receive time and one-half
off for each hour worked. The scheduled time off must be at a time approved by the
NOTE: Additional information about taking time off in lieu of being paid for working on a holiday is on the HR support site here.
3. No Holiday Compensation
Employees whose employment falls into the following categories will not be paid holiday compensation:
a. Temporary employees unless he/she is at work on a holiday.
b. Regular employees who are not scheduled and do not work outside the academic year.
c. Employees scheduled to take time off without pay during the academic year due to departmental schedules or budgets. The employee must be working during the academic year to receive holiday pay in this manner. EXAMPLE: An employee not working during the summer will not receive pay for holidays during this time.