<< Back to Manual Table of Contents Outline
Murray State University
POLICY NUMBER: IV F
SUBJECT: EDUCATIONAL LEAVE
APPLIES TO: STAFF
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 1993
REVISED FROM: February 17, 1990
An educational leave with or without pay may be granted for a period of one year or less to attend a college or university or for the purpose of training in areas related to the work of an employee which will benefit the University.
1. The Board of Regents must approve an educational leave.
2. Upon return from an educational leave of one year, the employee will return to his/her regular job or a similar position.
3. An employee granted subsequent leaves (beyond one year) will be given every consideration for re-employment in his/her former position or a position for which he/she is qualified.
4. All accrued sick leave and benefits will be restored at the time the employee is returned to the payroll.
5. The employee may continue medical and life insurance coverage at his/her own expense while on leave without pay. If the employee decides not to be covered, drops the coverage during the leave, or the coverage is terminated due to failure to make payment by the required date, the group insurance will not be reinstated until the employee returns to a paid position with the University.
6. A leave of absence does not affect continuity of employment. The employee's original date of employment will remain in effect.