The Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority Work Study program allows students to gain valuable career related experience while attending school. Employers benefit because they receive a $2.00 reimbursement for every hour a student works up to 20 hours per week, fall and spring terms; 40 hours per week, holidays and the summer terms.
The KHEAA Work-Study Program (KWSP) is a joint venture of the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA), participating post secondary educational institutions, employers, and students. The purpose of the program is to provide job opportunities to eligible Kentucky students by offering employment opportunities in career related positions.
Participating employers select students they wish to hire from among those eligible. They must pay KWSP students the prevailing market wage rate which cannot be less than the federal minimum wage. With funds provided by KHEAA, institutions will reimburse employers $2.00 for each hour worked by students. A minimum of 75 percent of wage reimbursement dollars allocated to each institution must be utilized with private, for-profit and private, non-profit employers.
A KWSP Employer Must do the Following:
- Complete an Employer Agreement with each participating institution that their student employees attend.
- Provide the institution a true and accurate Position Analysis for each KWSP job that is available.
- Provide eligible students with a bona fide career related work experience as determined by the participating educational institution.
- Pay students the prevailing wage rate which cannot be less than the federal minimum wage.
- Have work sites in Kentucky for KWSP students.
- Comply with all federal and state civil rights laws.
- Select the students they wish to hire from those referred to them by institutions.
- Explain to students their rights and responsibilities.
- Report to the institution, on an agreed-to schedule, the number of hours worked and wages paid to all eligible students.
Student Information Page
Donna M. Kitchen, KHEAA Coordinator
100 Oakley Applied Science Building
(270) 809-3053 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Murray State Career Services
Office Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM (Summer) | 8 AM - 4:30 PM (Fall/Spring)
100 Oakley Applied Sciences Bldg | Murray, KY 42071