WEATHER INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THE TESTING CENTER
The Testing Center will be closed in the event of any of the following:
1) University Closure. If Murray State issues a statement that campus is closed due to weather conditions, the Testing Center will be closed as well.
2) Testing Center Personnel are unable to safely travel to the Center.
3) Power Outage.
The Testing Center will make every effort to accommodate examinees. We apologize for any inconvenience; however, the safety of our staff, students and examinees is the top priority at our Testing Center. Thank you for your patience.
The mission of the Testing Center is for trained and certified test administrators to provide national standardized testing services for members of the university and the surrounding communities.
National Testing Programs
Information, requirements, and content of links on this page are subject
to change without notice. Links to test publishers take you out of the
Murray State University Web Site. Murray State University assumes no
responsibility for the content or accuracy of these sites.
Not all tests are given throughout the year; publisher requirements may restrict administration of some tests to a certain range of dates. Contact our office at 270-809-6848 for more information. You can register for some of the tests online. Check the test publisher's website.
Many of these programs require registration several weeks before the test can be taken. Consult your Advisor for more information on which tests you may need to take.
Some tests, such as the Compass, CLEP, DSST/Dantes, and MAT are given in our offices in Room C105 of the Oakley Applied Science Building. Other tests are given at locations noted on the admission ticket for that test or in other information provided by the test publisher or our office.
Please arrive 30 minutes before your appointment time to allow time for check-in procedures to be completed. We ask that you schedule your appointment well in advance as we may be fully booked as much as 30 days in advance.
Tests Given Prior to Admission to the University
- ACT -- American College Test
- ACT-R -- Residual Version of the ACT
Results may be used at Murray State University only. The test is given at various times throughout the year. Contact the Office of Recruitment for more information at 270-809-2896
- Registration through the Office of Recruitment at Murray State University is required prior to testing.
- For information on accommodations available on the ACT-R, contact the Murray State University Office of Student Disability Services, Velvet Wilson, Director, at 270-809-5737.
- IMPORTANT NOTE:
For dates and registration forms, Download a Registration Form.
- The Compass test is an alternative admissions test administered on a limited basis. For general eligibility policy and test information, please consult the Undergraduate Bulletin. To take all three sections of the Compass test you should allow approximately three hours. You can access sample questions at the following website: http://www.act.org/compass/sample/index.html
- The Compass test is currently administered on the first Friday of each month; however, the date is subject to change due to holidays, university closure dates or schedule conflicts. The registration form should have the correct dates, but you may wish to call the Test Center at 270-809-6848 for verification. Compass Test fees are currently $20.00 for the standard three-test battery; $7.00 for single tests; however, there will be an undetermined increase in fees beginning in Fall 2014.
- You must contact the MSU Office of Admissions (270-809-3741) for verification of eligibility to take the Compass in place of the ACT before registering for the Compass.
- Download registration form
- AP -- Advanced Placement Program
Current AP Exam Equivalencies Accepted by Murray State University
- To be considered for credit, an official score report must be mailed directly to the Registrar's Office from the specific testing service's national headquarters.
- Testing credit may not be used to repeat a course taken previously and will be awarded only to students enrolled at Murray State.
- Although Murray State accepts each of the AP tests listed, credit will not be awarded for two or more that have significantly similar subject content.
- CLEP -- College Level Examination Program
- Current Listing of CLEP Credit accepted by Murray State University
- Murray State University recognizes that a number of students gain advanced competency in specific subjects prior to enrolling in college courses. Students are encouraged to complete any national tests for credit before enrolling.
- CLEP tests are currently offered on the third Friday of each month; however, the date is subject to change due to holidays, university closure dates or schedule conflicts.
CLEP examinations will be valid for students who are currently enrolled or who are re-admitted to MSU. CLEP credit will not be awarded for students who are trying to repeat the course for which credit is sought. If currently enrolled in the class for which credit is sought, the current class must be dropped before CLEP credit will be awarded for that class.
Registration and payment of the $80 CLEP fee is now online and can be accessed through the following link: CLEP Registration. You will be instructed to print out an Admission Ticket to bring to the Testing Center on the testing date. The CLEP Approval Form is no long required; however, it is highly recommended that potential examinees check with their Advisor or the Registrar's Office to verify the test will be beneficial.
You must call the Testing Center at least one business day prior to a testing date in order to secure a seat. The $15 registration fee (which will increase Fall of 2014) must be paid on or before the test date. The Testing Center cannot currently accept credit or debit cards or charge the fee to a student's account. The method of payment should be exact cash (we do not keep change for security reasons), personal check or money order.
- To be considered for credit, an official score report must be mailed directly to the Registrar's Office from the College Board. This could take approximately three weeks. If taken at Murray State, unofficial results of the CLEP test are sent within two business days to the Transfer Center located in the Lowry Center on campus. For information on the acceptance of testing credit and for information on retest policies, contact Jennifer Husemann, Coordinator, Transfer Credit Evaluator at 270-809-3342; email: email@example.com.
- For additional information or questions, contact the Testing Center at 270-809-6848.
Tests Given for Admission to Various Professions and Graduate Schools
The linked publisher sites contain useful information. Content varies but may include online registration information, accommodations of special needs, sample tests, downloadable study materials and registration bulletins, forms and bulletins often used by test takers, and information regarding admissions to graduate and professional schools. Paper bulletins for some of these tests are available at the Testing Center. Often, the websites have request forms for free paper bulletins sent out by the test publisher.
Praxis Series Examinations -- Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST, also known as Praxis I) and Praxis II
GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
LSAT (Law School Admissions Test)
Bulletin, Registration, CBT Info, Study Materials
Register OnlineMAT (Miller Analogies Test)
MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
This test is offered on request and availability is based on other test schedules. Call the Testing Center at 270-809-6848 for information. The $60 test fee (exact cash, check or money order) is required on or before the test date. The Candidate Bulletin, as well as other important information can be found at the link below.
Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
TOEFL Online Study Materials
Contact the Office of the Registrar at 270-809-3754 for information regarding MSU acceptance/non-acceptance of DSST/Dantes credit. The computer-based test series is offered by request and availability is subject to other test schedules. For more information, contact the Testing Center at 270-809-6848. The current test fee is $80.00 and must be paid on-line. An administration fee of $15.00 must be paid to the MSU Testing Center on or before the test date.
Departmental Challenge Tests
Some academic departments at Murray State offer local Departmental Challenge Examinations that permit a student to test out of a specific course for credit. For more information, contact the department in which the specific course is taught.
Testing at Sites Other Than Murray State University
The CLEP and Compass tests are national programs. Each can be taken at more convenient locations and the scores sent to Murray State University. The following link to the College Board website will allow you to search for other centers. When you take the test, be sure to specify Murray State University, Murray, Kentucky, as the score report recipient. We must receive an official copy of scores from the College Board in order to award credit. Candidate-supplied documents will not be accepted.
Click here to find other test sites.