MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY
SCHOOL OF NURSING
DOCTOR OF NURSING PRACTICE ADMISSION CRITERIA
- Undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale
- Degree requirements: individuals must hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by ACEN or CCNE
- “Official” transcripts from every college/university attended must be sent to Murray State University, Graduate Admission Office
- ALL students: Current Basic Life Support (CPR Certification)
- English Proficiency Requirements:
If native tongue is not English the student must complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). The minimum requirements are as follows:
A minimum cumulative score of:
AND minimum individual scores of:
26 in speaking
20 in writing
20 in reading
20 in listening
- Three professional references (forms provided)
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse*
- Goal Statement: In one to three double-spaced pages, discuss reasons for seeking doctoral study, including short- and long-term professional goals.
- An interview with DNP faculty is required.
FAMILY NURSE PRACTITIONER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
- One (1) year experience as a registered nurse
NURSE ANESTHESIA SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Two (2) years critical care experience as a registered nurse (excluding orientation to the critical care unit) within the past 5 years and by the time of application
- Chemistry prerequisite: organic, inorganic, or biochemistry course
- Current PALS and ACLS
- An additional 10 points will be added for completion of CCRN or NIC certification to complete clinical hours for the program.
* In addition students will be required to be licensed as an RN in any state in which they intend to complete clinical hours for the program.
** Proof of liability insurance for advanced practice nursing, current immunizations, hepatitis vaccine or signed wavier, and TB testing are required before enrollment in clinical nursing courses. Please send copies of these to the Graduate Coordinator, School of Nursing.
Students who request admission to Murray State University’s Doctor of Nursing Practice Program must be in good standing at previously and/or current enrolled programs.
Where unusual or extenuating circumstances are indicated, the Dean of the School of Nursing may admit a student who does not meet the above criteria.
ALL APPLICATION MATERIALS MUST BE SUBMITTED ON OR BEFORE THE APPLICATION DEADLINE
Updated April 2016