MLA Vision Statement
The Department of Modern Languages pursues excellence in the teaching of world languages, literatures, and cultures with an eye to fostering inter-cultural understanding and appreciation.
As part of its vision, the department will:
- maintain its reputation for academic excellence in the state of Kentucky while continually pursuing potentially more effective means of instruction here and abroad.
- provide information and opportunities to enhance inter-cultural awareness for the university and the community.
- encourage students to study abroad.
- prepare students to become successful professionals in an international community.
- advance faculty development and research here and abroad.
The faculty will encourage more students to graduate as majors in our disciplines to satisfy the demands for more skilled professionals with language training. Our department will remain an environment where students learn to interact with understanding and respect for people of other cultures as well as a greater awareness of their own responsibilities as global citizens.