David L. Fender
Courses Taught at MSU:
OSH 452, Systems Approach to Hazard Control
OSH 550/640, Safety and Health Program Management and Training
OSH 650, Organizational Leadership and Management
OSH 657,Current Literature & Research in Safety and Health Education:
B.S., Central Missouri State University, 1972
M.S., University of Southern California, 1984
Ed. D., Vanderbilt University, 2000 Certification and Licensure :
- Certified Safety Professional, 1990
- Certified Safety and Health Manager, 1999
- Commercial Instrument Helicopter License, 1973 Professional Experience Prior to MSU:
- Principle Consultant, Fender Consultants, L.L.C., Enterprise, AL, 1994-1995. Safety consulting and training.
- Safety Specialist, DynCorp, Ft. Rucker, AL, 1992-1993. Managed safety issues for 1,900 employee company.
- Safety Standardization Officer, U.S. Army Safety Center, Ft. Rucker, AL, 1990-1992. Managed a variety of safety issues for the Army including auditing, writing publications and developing and conducting training.
- Chief, Installation Safety Division, U.S. Army Safety Center, Ft. Rucker, AL, 1989-1990. Responsible for developing Army-wide safety programs.
- Aircraft Systems Manager, U.S. Army Safety Center, Ft. Rucker, AL, 1988-1989. Coordinated system safety work for various systems.
- Aviation Safety Officer, Fourth U.S. Army, Ft. Sheridan, IL, 1985-1988. Supervised aviation safety for 62 U.S. Army Reserve and National Guard organizations in 7 states.
- Commander, Air Traffic Control Maintenance Company, Ft. Rucker, AL, 1982-1984. Supervised all aspects of operating the organization, including safety, budgeting, training, administration, and planning.
- Airfield Safety Officer, U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground, Yuma, AZ, 1981-1982. Administered all aspects of aviation and industrial safety. Consulted on safety aspects of aviation-related test projects. Conducted all safety-related training and orientations. Clinical/Professional Focus:
Child care safety, aviation safety, industrial management and leadership, industrial safety programs, automation of safety functions. Research Focus:
Management and leadership, playground safety, safety training Professional Organizations:
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), Professional Member, - Past-President, Wiregrass Chapter.
- National Safety Management Society Contact Information:
Office Address: 157H Industry and Technology Center
Office Phone: 270-809-6651
Office Fax: 270-809-3630