Hazardous Gas Leaks
Flammable, toxic, corrosive, oxygen, cryogenic
If a gas cylinder or gas piping begins to leak or is suspected of leaking, thereby presenting danger to building occupants, proceed as follows:
- Immediately notify building occupants to evacuate the area along the established route.
- Notify MSU Police at 911. If there is no answer, or if the line is busy, call 2222 to report the details of the chemical emergency.
- Ensure that HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) for the building is shut
down. Avoid open flames. This may require a call to Facilities Management at 4291
Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Building name
- Building location
- Floor number
- Room number
- Specific chemical name of the involved gas
- Estimated volume of gas
- Make every attempt to direct evacuating personnel away from the hazardous area. Account for all building occupants at the designated meeting area. Building occupants should not return until instructed to do so by the building emergency coordinator, department chair or MSU Police personnel.