Skip Navigation LinksAdmissions > Bursar's Office > Why we need your SSN

Why is Murray State asking for my social security number or ITIN

Undergraduate | Graduate | Doctoral

The IRS requires that colleges and universities collect the name, social security number (SSN) or individual tax payer number (ITIN) for all tuition-paying students. In addition, the amount of a students' qualifying payments must be reported to the IRS on IRS form 1098-T. The information on the 1098-T provides the IRS with a basis for amounts claimed by a taxpayer as qualifying expenditures for the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit and/or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.


We will never ask you to supply your SSN/ITIN by email. Instead, we may ask you to complete the from W9-S and submit the completed form to the Registrar's office in Sparks Hall.

  • If we do not have valid SSN or ITIN on your student record, we will email you to ask you to provide this information to a Registrar representative.
  • If you refuse to provide your SSN or ITIN, or you provide an incorrect number, the I.R.S. is empowered to impose penalties.
Form W9-S can be found on the I.R.S. website at


Decorative image
Site Directory