Mabel G. & J. Stanley Pullen Farm
Mr. Stanley Pullen was the first full-time teacher and chairman of the Agriculture Department at Murray State Normal School (now Murray State University). Mr. Pullen and his wife Mabel Pullen both taught in the field of agriculture at Murray State. Mr. Pullen passed away in 1935, but Mrs. Pullen continued to maintain her ties with the
The original farm purchased by Mr. Pullen consisted of two tracts, the first of which was purchased in the 1920's. The Pullens ran the farm and a dairy (College Crest Farm) with the help of students as employees. Mr. Pullen built the farm which still stands on the property, but he passed away b
In her later years, Mrs. Pullen depended heavily on the MSU Agriculture Department for the management and operation of her 44 acre farm. Upon her passing, Mrs. Pullen bequeathed the farm and most of her estate to the MSU Foundation for academic purposes and scholarships for the Department of Agriculture.efore the mortgage could be paid off. Mrs. Pullen began teaching in local schools to pay the mortgage on the farm.
An initial cleanup took place in 1995, and in 1996 renovations began on the farm. The Pullen Farm
provides the School of Agriculture with additional space for agronomy testing and research. Students are involved in trials highlighting weed control methods, pest management practices, soil fertility, and basic crop science. In addition, the farm features a corn maze each fall semester and hosts the School of Agriculture’s annual “Fall on the Farm” event.
The Pullen Farm is also home to the MSU Horticulture program. Horticultural facilities on the farm include three greenhouses, classroom and office spaces, and numerous flowering beds and landscape structures. Students are responsible for working in the greenhouses and also maintaining the bedding plants surrounding the
facility. In 2009 the Hutson School of Agriculture began construction on an arboretum at the Pullen Farm. The Arboretum features collections of native plants trees, winding pathways, and a pavilion for hosting special events.