Murray State University´s College of Education provides an alternative route to Kentucky teacher certification through the Education Professional Standards Board. The goal of the Murray State University Program is to ensure that every community will have a talented and dedicated teacher in every classroom. The Alternative Route to Teacher Certification is structured under Option VI of the alternatives routes approved by the Education Professional Standards Board and the 2000 session of Kentucky´s General Assembly. The Alternative Route Program allows an individual to complete the educational program at Murray State University with concurrent employment in a school district. The candidate must complete all requirements within three years and pass all required assessments.
• Have a bachelor's degree in a certifiable area for a minimum of three years prior to admission in the program.
• 2.75 GPA or 3.0 on the last 30 hours
One of the following:
• Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST) or the computerized version C-PPST
> Math 174
> Reading 176
> Writing 174
OR Application for admission to Alternative Route to Teacher Certification
• Graduate Records Exam (GRE)
> Verbal 450 (150 after August 1, 2011)
> Quantitative 490 (143 after August 1, 2011)
> Analytical writing 4.0
• Complete the PRAXIS II examination and achieve the minimum scores prescribed by the Education Professional Standards Board or acceptable rationale for postponing the submission of test scores at this time.
• Agree to abide by and uphold the Professional Code of Ethics for Kentucky School Personnel established by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board.
• Complete and submit a formal application and entry packet.
• Entry packet reviewed by a committee from the College of Education and the content area to determine the program of study.
• Interview: the admission criteria allows for the evaluation of a candidate's previous educational and work experiences. This evaluation plan is utilized in determining program requirements for individual candidates.
For more information on Alternative Route to Teacher Certification, contact, Cindy Thresher
Phone: (270) 809-3280
Alternative Route to Certification Observations/Mentoring Plan Form
Application for Admission to Alternative Route to LBD Certification Application for Admission to Alternative Route to Moderate to Severe Disabilities Certification
Guide sheet for Alternative Route to LBD Certification
For more information on Alternative Route to LBD Certification, contact Dr. Alesa Walker
Phone: (270) 809-3768
Click here for more information on the Alternative Routes to Administrative Certification.