Take Your Place in the Murray State Tradition
Payment problems
Veterans Affairs

Skip Navigation LinksProspective Students > Veterans > Veterans Affairs > Payment information > Payment problems

Payment problems

MSU’s VA Office sends all claims to the St. Louis Regional Office. If you have any questions regarding your VA Education Benefits, contact the St Louis RPO at 1-888-GI Bill-1 (1-888-442-4551).  There have been a few instances whereby erroneous information has been given to the student.  Make sure that you write down the date, who you spoke with and the response you received.  In order for our office to further assist you, our office will need this information in the event that we will need to report this; so other veterans do not receive the same erroneous information.

You can also submit a VA Inquiry at GI Bill- Ask A Question & Find Answers

General FAQ’s about Payments

Q. The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) says I'm not eligible? What do I do?!  

If the DVA notifies you that you are ineligible for benefits, you should bring the letter to the MSU VA office for more assistant.

Other than actual ineligibility, common reasons for DVA notification of ineligibility include:

  • Insufficient Evidence of contribution to G.I. Bill or VEAP
  • Conflicting information regarding service dates
  • Failure of Department of Defense to update eligibility information in computer system *
  • Failure to provide the correct chapter number on the application for benefits
  • A name change which may make it difficult for DVA to identify the veteran
  • Confusion associated with multiple family members using benefits (ex., Harvey Holmes, Sr. and Harvey Holmes, Jr. using benefits at the same time)

Documents that may be required to resolve eligibility issues include:

  • LES's showing all G.I. Bill contributions made
  • Cash collection voucher showing proof of lump sum contribution
  • Copies of all DD214's to reflect ALL periods of service
  • Proof of name change (ex., marriage certificate showing both married and maiden name)

*The Department of Veterans Affairs does not actually determine your eligibility. The DVA interprets and acts upon eligibility information maintained and updated.by the Department of Defense. Ultimately, it is the Department of Defense that verifies or denies your eligibility to the DVA. The DVA simply communicates this information to you.

Q.  Why haven't I been certified yet?

Certification is the school's way of notifying DVA that you are enrolled and wish to be certified. You must submit a Certification Request Form every semester in order to be certified to DVA for payment. You should allow us 10 working days to process your Certification Request Form. Failure to submit requested documents could result in possible delays or even terminations in certification.

Q.  I have not been paid yet. Where's my money?

Did you submit your Certification Request Form (CRF) for this semester? How long ago were you certified? It takes the DVA approximately 9-12 weeks to verify new claims and/or process initial payment. Processing tends to take longer during the fall semester - the highest enrollment period of the year.

Q.  When I do get paid, will I get "back pay"?

Yes. Late payments will be retroactive to the first day of the term.

Q.  DVA says I'm only 1/2 time - but I'm transient at another institution. I should be getting full time payment. What do I do?

When was the transient enrollment certified? Allow DVA 8-10 weeks to process the second enrollment and add the two training times together.

Q.  My payment reflects 3/4 time enrollment, but I've added a class. I'm full time. How do I fix this?

Changes in enrollment (drop/add/withdrawal) should be reported to MSU VA Office within 5 working days. Did you report the class adjustment? If so, have you allowed DVA 4-6 weeks to process the adjustment? 

Q.  What time period does this payment cover? Is this a break payment?

Call 1-888-GI Bill 1 (1-888-442-4551)

Q.  I'm no longer active duty, but I'm still being paid tuition and fees only. When will I receive my full benefits?

When did you ETS? Did you provide us with a copy of your DD214? When you ETS, it is the Department of Defense's responsibility to update your duty status in the computer system relied upon by DVA to process your benefit payments. Computer system updates could take up to 90 days. By providing our office with a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy) you can expedite the conversion of your entitlement to "off-duty" pay. In general, allow DVA 30 to 60 days to adjust your pay following receipt of the DD214.

Q.  I called the 1-888#, and they said that my school hasn't submitted my 22-1999 (certification)!

This information may or may not be true. Most certifications are submitted to DVA electronically. We receive instant verification of receipt of these documents. We would be happy to provide you with a copy, upon written request. The benefit counselors on the 1-888 line may not be able to verify DVA's receipt of a document - but they should never say that your school has not submitted it. In general, it takes 1-2 weeks for DVA to acknowledge receipt of certification documents.

Q.  I can't get through to the 1-888#? Would you contact DVA for me?

No. We call and experience the same delays in calling the 1-888#.
You may want to utilize GI Bill- Ask A Question & Find Answers, https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_alp.php

Q.  I've been paid too much money. I've received an overpayment letter. What do I do?

You should respond to the overpayment letter within 30 days. Appeal procedures are enclosed in your letter.  If you know that you are at fault, you may either pay the DVA directly, or request that the overpayment be deducted from future entitlement. 

Decorative image
Site Directory