Meal Plan FAQs

Comment online for direct answers to your specific questions.  We're also on Facebook and Twitter, so feel free to drop by and say hi.


Do I have to have a meal plan?

Depending on your academic classification or where you live, you may be required to have a meal plan.  See the policies below.

Freshman (living on campus): Unlimited Plan
Sophomore (living on campus): Unlimited, 175/400 or 150/300 plan
(NOTE: You will be assigned the Unlimited Plan by default, so if you want the 175/400 or 150/300 you must go into MyGate under the Money tab and make the change.)
Junior (living on campus)*: May purchase any plan. No requirement.
*Juniors receiving Regional Tuition Discount: If you do not have a Housing contract, you must choose a Copper, Platinum, Unlimited, 175/400 or 150/300 plan.
Senior (living on campus): May purchase any plan. No Requirement.
Commuter – any academic status: May purchase any plan. No requirement.

Can I be exempted from a meal plan?

To be exempt from the meal plan requirement, you must complete an exemption form within the first month of classes. Since exemptions are only valid for one semester, you must reapply at the start of each term.  Download the form here or request one at the Dining Services Office on the first floor of the Curris Center. Please return it to the office or mail to 101 Curris Center, Murray, KY 42071.


Freshmen and sophomore students (defined as students who have compiled fewer than 60 hours of college credit) are required to have a meal plan for at least four semesters. Exempted from this policy are students who: 

   1. Have reached their 21st birthday prior to the first day of registration.
   2. Are veterans of at least two years' active military service.
   3. Are married.
   4. Commute to school daily from the permanent, legal residence of their parents (within 50 miles).
   5. Have resided in residence halls for four semesters, excluding summers.

Exemptions are rarely granted if you do not meet the listed criteria.


Housing and Meal charges are automatically assessed to all freshman and sophomores. Students that are commuting from home (not living in a residential college) must submit a housing exemption to the Housing Office. It is YOUR responsibility to check your MyGate student account to make sure these charges are removed.

How do I use my meal plan?

Your meal plan is accessed with your RacerCard (MSU ID).  To make a purchase at any campus dining venue, all you need to do is swipe the card.

Meals on the 150/300 and 175/400 plans, and guest meals on the Unlimited plan are valid only at Winslow Dining Hall.  For those on the 175/400 or 150/300 plan more than one Winslow meal can be used a time, for example to treat friends and family to dinner.  You may spend as many meals per day as you wish.

Flex dollars are only valid at Murray State campus dining venues.  They are not subject to Kentucky sales tax except at Fast Track and Pony Express, so you receive an automatic 6 percent discount with every flex purchase.

Can I change my plan?

Any meal plan changes must be made during the first month of the semester. You may change your meal plan through the Money tab on myGate. You may also visit the RacerCard Office on the first floor of the Curris Center or call 270.809.3003.  Please allow a few days for processing.  Your account balance may be adjusted to reflect any meals/flex dollars spent before the change.

If you are having difficulty with the use of your plan or have purchased a plan that now seems too big for your purchasing habits, please contact Director Paula Amols at 270.809.6990 or, to see what options may be available.

Is there a limit to how many Winslow meals I may use a time?

Not with the 175/400 and 150/300 plans. With those plans more than one Winslow meal can be used a time, for example to treat friends and family to dinner. You may spend as many meals per day as you wish.

What are flex dollars?

Flex dollars are a form of payment accepted only at Murray State campus dining venues. Flex dollars may be purchased as a meal plan in and of themselves (see the options at the bottom of this page) or in combination with Winslow meals (see Meal Plan Options) Flex dollars do not carry over from semester to semester. When you purchase a meal plan, Flex dollars are applied to your RacerCard (MSU ID) which you may then use like a debit card at all Dining Services venues. Food purchased with Flex dollars is not subject to KY sales tax in most locations. You may purchase additional Flex dollars in $25 increments from the RacerCard Office on the first floor of the Curris Center. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or call 270-809-3003. To acquire a meal plan, use the form on the Money tab of your myGate account.

Can I purchase more meals or flex dollars?

Yes. Visit the RacerCard Office on the first floor of the Curris Center, call 270.809.3003 or e-mail Flex dollars may be purchased in $25 increments. Additional meals may be purchased in bundles of 10. Flex dollars do not carry over from semester to semester.

How do I know how many meals or flex dollars I have left?

Check your account balance by asking any Dining Services cashier for an inquiry. You can also check your balance by logging on to your MyGate account and clicking onto your Money Tab. You can go to the box below titled "RacerCard Balances". This is where you can view your current balance.

Do meals and flex dollars carry over to the following semester?

Flex dollars can be spent at Winslow or any other Dining venues on campus throughout the semester. In the last two weeks of the semester, Flex dollars may be used to place bulk orders at Fast Track. Flex Dollars left over at the end of the fall semester will roll over to the spring semester. Any unused meals or flex dollars left at the end of the spring or summer semester will not roll over.

Can I receive a refund on my meal plan?

In accordance with the approved Board of Regent Refund policy, Dining Services cannot offer refunds on any meal plan (used or not used) after the first 30 days of the semester. A copy of the MSU Refund policy may be found at: If you have questions about meal plan refunds, visit the RacerCard Office on the first floor of the Curris Center, call 270.809.3003 or e-mail

What if I have food allergies or special dietary needs?

Dining Services makes every effort to accommodate all the dietary needs of its students. If you have a medical condition that requires a special diet, please schedule an appointment with Velvet Wilson at Student Disabilities. She will then have you set up a meeting or discussion with a member of our nutrition staff, e-mail, or you may set up a meeting with the Department Chef, Tim Bruce at or 270-809-3398.

What do I do if I lose my RacerCard?

Your first action should be to report that it is lost at the RacerCard Office. If it is after office hours, report your card lost at Winslow Dining Hall. Your card will then be deactivated to protect the meals and flex dollars remaining on your card. If you find your card, you will need to reactivate it at the RacerCard office before it can be used again. There is no charge for reactivation of a lost card. If you do not find your card, you may purchase a replacement card for $20. The RacerCard Office accepts cash, check credit or debit.

What forms of payment does Dining Services accept?

Dining venues accept flex dollars, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, cash, check and debit. Meal plan "meals" (on the Unlimited plan) are only valid at Winslow Dining Hall. Debit transactions must be processed as credit-no entering a PIN. All transactions are for the amount of sale only. Dining cannot give cash back for check, credit or debit purchases. Dining cannot cash checks.

Can I get food "to go" from Winslow?

Unlike many all-you-care-to-eat restaurants, Winslow Dining Hall does provide to-go meals. If requested from the cashier at time of payment, Winslow will provide one beverage cup, a to-go box and utensils. Up to two entrees and unlimited sides may be taken out of Winslow, as long as everything is inside the provided (and 100% biodegradable, we might add) box. Unlimited plan holders will be limited to seven to-go meals a week. To go meal are only intended for use when a student does not have time to dine in. Abuse of this policy will result in a loss of to-go privileges.