Skip Navigation LinksAdmissions > Bursar's Office > What if MSU does not have my correct SSN

What if Murray State does not have my correct Social Security number?

Undergraduate | Graduate | Doctoral

Two Education Tax Credit forms, the 1098-T and 1098-E are filed by Murray State, using the student's Social Security Number. This form reports qualifying tuition and related expenses and loan interest.


The I.R.S. requires colleges and universities to collect social security numbers or individual taxpayer numbers for all tuition-paying students. We will never ask you to supply your number by email. Instead. we may ask you to complete form W9-S and submit the completed form to a Registrars representative in Sparks Hall.

If you refuse to provide your SSN or ITIN, or you provide an incorrect number, the I.R.S. is empowered to impose penalties.

If you 1098-T has been submitted o the I.R.S. with no SSN or ITIN, or with an incorrect SSN or ITIN, once you have submitted your W-9S to the Office of the Registrar, your 1098-T will still require correction. Please note that if we did not have your SSN, your form was filed without it, and your 1098-T service provider will assign you an alternate reference number for use in identifying your record.


Please consult IRS Publication 970 for the year in which you are filing for more information on Educational Tax Credits for which you may be eligible. No Murray State employee may give tax advice. If you are unsure about your eligibility, please consul with a qualified tax preparer.

Decorative image
Site Directory