Take Your Place in the Murray State Tradition
Military Activation Withdrawals
Students work at computers in Waterfield Library.

Skip Navigation LinksAcademics > Registrar > Military Activation Withdrawals

Military Activation Withdrawals

Military wthdrawal procedures for students activated by their units

Students need to provide the Registration Office with a signed statement requesting to be withdrawn. Students must also provide the Registration Office with a copy of their orders or an official letter from the 1st Sergeant/Unit Commander on unit letterhead in order to receive 100% refund. If in person, complete top portion of withdrawal form.
If not available, fax or mail letter. If the student cannot send a letter him/herself, MSU will accept an official statement from the Unit, which must include the student’s name, social security number and date of activation. (The Registrar must approve any questionable documentation before processing of withdrawal begins.)

Official withdrawal will be as of the date orders/letters are received. If orders are received after the date for students to drop a class with a grade of "W", the withdrawals will be back-dated to that date in order for the students to receive grades of ‘W’. For courses that are largely complete or that can be completed from a distance (directed studies, etc.), students may choose to work with faculty to take grades of "I" to give more time to complete the course. Students need to know that these grades do calculate into the gpa as failing grades until they are completed. If circumstances don't permit the student to complete the incomplete grades, the student and faculty member can work with the Registrar to process a later withdrawal.

The Registration Office will forward a copy of the orders/letters to Financial Aid Office. The Registration Office will also forward a copy of the orders/letters to Student Loans in the Bursar's Office to process paperwork for students to receive a 100% refund. (Any necessary return of Title IV Funds must be calculated and if this calculation results in the school being required to return funds to a Title IV program, then the student will be charged for what has to be returned.)

If the student lives in University Housing, the Registration Office will forward a copy of his/her orders to the Housing Office unless the student is able to take care of checking out of the residence halls him/herself.

If the student has any library books checked out, they must return them to the library in order to avoid any charges. The Registration Office will work with students who are unable to return their books immediately.

People To Contact:

Registration Office – Kristi Jackson – (270) 809-3762

Registration Office – FAX – (270) 809-3050

Bursar’s Office – Anita Poynor – (270) 809-2318

Financial Aid – Lori Mitchum - (270) 809-2546/2547

Student Loans – Tony James – (270) 809-2690

Registrar – Tracy Roberts – (270) 809-3759

Toll Free – 1-800-272-4678

Military Activation Withdrawals FAQ

Office of the Registrar

Murray State University
113 Sparks Hall
Murray, KY 42071-3312

(270) 809-5630
(800) 272-4678

(270) 809-3777: Registrar

(270) 809-5727: Registration

(270) 809-3050: Veterans Affairs

Office Hours
Monday - Friday

January - May 
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM CST/CDT

June - July
7:30 AM - 4:00 PM CDT

August - December
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM CST/CDT

Registering for Classes (PDF)

Web Registration Info for Faculty and Advisors (PDF)

Faculty Training for Web Registration

Other Email Addresses


Degree Audit


Veteran Affairs

Decorative image
Site Directory