Degree Requirements (49 hours)
Four on-campus residencies (12 hours)
- At least three must be in the student’s chosen genre.
One on-campus thesis residency (1 hour)
- The final residency, during which students defend their theses, give teaching presentations, and participate in other exit activities, but do not attend workshop or seminars.
Three semesters of off-campus tutorial (18 hours)
- At least two must be in the student’s chosen genre.
- Tutorials are completed in the semester immediately following an attended residency.
One semester of field study (3 hours)
- Should occur in the student’s second or third semester.
One semester of thesis study (6 hours)
- Should occur at the end of the student’s program, once all other course requirements have been filled and immediately following the student’s last residency.
Three semesters of graduate-level literature courses (9 hours)
- One class must focus on contemporary literature.