Vision and Mission
The Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business aspires to be one of the best regional business schools in the nation.
The Arthur J. Bauernfeind College of Business (AJB-CoB) prepares students for careers in the dynamic environments of business, information technology, public and private organizations, and mass communications. With a domestic student population drawn primarily from Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Missouri, and Illinois; and a substantial international student population; the CoB strives for excellence by:
- Engaging students in the acquisition of fundamental knowledge, mastery of professional skills (including oral and written communication, problem solving and critical thinking), and the application of knowledge and skills to emerging issues, technologies, and professional practices in a student-centered learning environment.
- Providing students with quality undergraduate and master’s degree programs embodied in relevant curricula and innovative learning environments.
- Encouraging students in intellectual and social development by providing a high degree of student and faculty interaction both inside and outside the classroom, cultivating leadership, and developing an appreciation for ethical issues and diversity in the global market place.
- Providing students with global perspectives in the classroom, while also encouraging both students and faculty to pursue opportunities for international travel and learning.
- Developing and encouraging academic outreach, collaborative relationships with alumni, business and industry, public schools, government agencies and non-profit organizations, as well as colleges and universities at home and abroad.
- Supporting a faculty commitment to quality teaching, service and continuous improvement that is enhanced by a 50% to 65% focus on Discipline Based Scholarship (DBS), with secondary emphasis on both Contributions to Practice (CP) and Learning and Pedagogical Scholarship (LPS).
Values and Guiding Principles
Emphasizing teaching, research and broad-based service (in that order), the College espouses and embraces the same values as Murray State University—the parent institution—namely: Accessibility, Academic Freedom, Accountability, Diversity, Excellence, Integrity, Nurturing Environment, Shared Governance, and Student-Centered Learning.
Major mission revisions and broad-based stakeholder affirmations: Fall 2000, Fall 2003, Summer 2007, Summer 2008, Summer 2011 and Fall 2011.
AACSB International Accredited Member
AACSB-International (The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) is the premier Management Education accrediting agency in the world. Our MBA has been AACSB accredited since 1981, making it one of the longest accredited programs in the country. AACSB accreditation is an important measure of the prestige of any business program (our undergraduate programs in business have been AACSB-accredited since 1976!).